Maxiavelli: CNN International's Gradual Decadence


Romans of the Decadence - Thomas Couture

CNN International is gradually becoming unbearable.

Apart from Fareed Zakaria's "GPS", Wolf Blitzer's "Situation Room", Richard Quest's "Quest Means Business", Errol Barnett's "Inside Africa" and "Voices of Africa" the channel has practically gone tedious. What changed?

I used to be an avid spectator of AC 360º; I even forced myself to forgive Anderson Cooper for his bad habit of latching onto a story ,without letting go, for nearly a month. But now I can't watch the show any longer (sorry Andy Cooper, tu es mignon, I adore you but I am cheating on you with Fox News).

What caused it? For instance, the coverage of the Zimmerman case (after the verdict, it seemed like CNN, through AC 360º, was intent on creating racial tensions in the US again. They pushed for a racial agenda instead of taking advantage of the case to address a more pressing issue: parent responsibility among Black Americans and a change in their comportment); the coverage of Snowden's case (they practically glorified a traitor and a journalist who put at risk the national security of a cluster of nations) and, the coverage of the detention of Glenn Greenwald's partner at Heathrow Airport (they gave Greenwald a means to show how ridiculous and ignorant he really is: to go on AC 360º and tell Anderson Cooper that the secret services will never be able to crack the encryption in the electronic devices his partner [an Intel Mule] had in his possession is pitiable - I apologise for what I am about to say, but his reaction really begs the question: is he on drugs? He can't be that witless, or romantic, to the point of believing that the secrets services have actually lost their abilities. Either way, he made an utter fool of himself and, unfortunately, so did Anderson Cooper by proxy).


I used to watch Piers Morgan's show (I don't like it much, yet sometimes I visualised it), now I don't any longer. Pourquoi? First, I don't like the way he calls some of his conservative guests "stupid" (he can be mordant, for the sake of the show, without having to resort to rudeness); second, his pushing of the anti-second amendment agenda fatigued me to the core (should he, as a guest in the US, be doing that? It would be like hosting a guest in your house and having him telling you how to run your household); third, his blatant emotional bias towards any of the segments of the Arab-Israeli Conflict is bad public service (PM Netanyahu should refuse giving him interviews in the future; what's the point of doing it if Israel is not going to benefit from them?); fourth, his coverage of the Zimmerman case (Rachel Jeantel may be bright but it doesn't alter the fact that she came out rude in the court of law; yet CNN went to great lengths to re-shape public opinion about her); and fifth, his demagogic Pot Campaign (Piers Morgan invited a group of women - calling themselves "Pot Moms" - who perniciously stated that they are "better parents because of pot" - as if the recipe were kosher for everybody).

CNN International used to be my news channel; the one I'd first run to before my morning yoga sessions. It used to be careful enough to broadcast meaningful global events. Now it seems like a tasteless merge of CNN and TMZ.

During the June-July period, many of us wanted to know (and follow up on) what was happening in Turkey, in Brazil, in African nations (being targeted by Radical Islamists), in Japan, in the Eurozone, and what did CNN International offer us? The pre-birth, the birth and post-birth of Prince George...I mazel toved, and blessed, the birth of the little royal baby, however if I wanted to focus on that I would have tuned Her Majesty's news network: the BBC World News.

CNN International is slowly degrading itself and for what: accolades?
Until it reboots itself, Maxiavelli will quench her thirst, of relevant information, on Euronews and Fox News.

Ciao!

Comments

  1. Euronews. Now I am curious about this, since it isn't one that I have seen. I never watch CNN. Sometimes Fox News, but they can be quite tedious with repeats and I don't recall them giving more than 90 seconds to the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Looney :D!

      Euronews is very good because not only it covers the European region but also the rest of the world (in a very dynamic fashion; without a blatant agenda pushing - which doesn't mean that they don't have one).
      You never watch CNN? Scandalous lol. I used to devour it, but not any longer.
      I am still getting to know Fox News; we recently had our first date...so, there isn't much critique I can make so far; but I will let you know after our fifth date lol ;). I like their website a lot though - it informs me about the US.

      Looney, thank you so much for your comment :D. Always a pleasure.

      Cheers


      Delete
  2. I can't stand CNN International, its too bias for me but they keep on getting them awards so I guess the bias folks like them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous :D!

      Thank you so much for your comment :D. I appreciate it. I hope to see you back here soon.

      Cheers

      Delete
  3. I quit watching CNN International ever since Piers Morgan accused Israel of mistreating the poor terrorists and simplified the Arab-Israeli conflict. He showed his complete ignorance and the typical Brit anti-Semitism! So yeah, PM Netanyahu should refuse granting him more interviews - if Barack Obama refuses to do it why should he? Piers Morgan is a complete tosser.
    Euronews is cool but FOX News? Not even if they would pay me a million dollars, I'm telling you! I prefer those other anti-Semites...what are they called? Ah yes, the BBC News...damn leftists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana :D!

      I hear you. I didn't like some of the things he said during Operation Pillar of Defence either. I expected a man in his position to know more and better. But oh well...
      LOL oh yes, Piers Morgan resented/resents president Obama for not giving him an interview; but Mr Morgan should just relax.

      LOL LOL LOL I hear you. But hey, I had to give Fox News a chance (since I already watch all the other Fox channels).

      Ana, thank you so much for your amusing comment :D. Always a pleasure.

      Cheers

      Delete
  4. True. CNN during the Zimmerman case shoved racial tension down our throats and I didn't like it. I didn't get what they wanted with it, black people on the streets of America insulting Obama? Black people in the streets beating the crap of white people, what? Disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey New Guy in Town :D!

      Good questions.

      Thank you ever so much for your comments :D. I hope you come back to us soon :D.

      Cheers

      Delete
  5. Olá, Max!

    I so miss Larry King; at 02.00 a.m.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olá Lenny :D!

      I know, right? I miss him too. Well, I thought he had been a bit too harsh to Piers Morgan when he told him that he wasn't all that - על הפנים! But guess what? He was right.

      Lenny, thank you so much for your comment :D.

      Cheers

      Delete
  6. CNN acts like it's humanitarian and social concerned but is it? I read your post last week and I ask when did CNN ever mentioned what's going on in CAR...not even your favorite show "Inside Africa". CNN might've been relevant once upon a time but it's not no more. It lost the bling effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous :D!

      You're right: they should be talking more about the situation in CAR and in other places. But they don't. Apparently, African children and women are not as important as Syrian children and women....

      Anonymous, thank you so much for your comment :D. Loved it.

      Cheers

      Delete
  7. I like CNN and I watch it all the time. Anderson Cooper however seems to be pushing for a gay agenda ever since he came publicly out of the closet. I have never watched Piers Morgan but I imagine that inviting a group of women that called Pot Moms can't be good. Keep it up, Maxiavelli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous :D!

      Really? I hadn't realised it...perhaps you're right.
      LOL "Pot Moms" isn't the problem; the problem is passing the message that people can be better parents for smoking pot - is it applicable to everybody?

      I will, thanks for your support.

      Anonymous, thank you so much for your comment :D.

      Cheers

      Delete
  8. I am like Looney, I never watch CNN.
    I like your thought of the week but does Barry have the balls to go after Ali? I get it that he needs to think cause Syria involves a lot of stuff it's not linear, but will he have the guts? And who will be the next boss there, Al-Qaeda?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Adam :D!

      What do you watch?
      I think Barry does and will.
      Who will be the next boss? Ask François Hollande.

      Adam, thank you so much for your comment and for reading the Thought of the Week section :D.

      Cheers

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Hi Rummy :D!

      What a sacrilege lol ;).
      If I didn't have to, I wouldn't watch it either. But, professionally, I need the open source elements.

      Rummy, thank you so much for having dropped by and left a word :D.

      Cheers

      Delete
  10. Max, please tune in CNN Int'l right now: AC is having a very interesting convo on Syria! I'd like your comment on it, if you wouldn't mind. Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louis :D!

      You are not the French guy, are you?
      Oh, darling...I am ever so sorry: I didn't watch it. I am really cheating on AC :).

      Louis, thank you for having dropped by :D. I hope to see you again, soon.

      Cheers

      Delete
    2. No, I am not, Max.
      Until when are you cheating on him, I am just curious?
      You can bet I'll be back. From now on I'll sigh as "Louis (not the French)" :-)

      Delete
    3. I just had to verify it - thank you.
      LOL until CNN international gets back on its proper feet.
      It's a done deal *shaking hands*. :D

      Delete
  11. Olá Max,

    Anderson Cooper is cute but boring. Yet he is successful (good for him)! Piers Morgan...what can I say about him other than I don't like his show? I miss Larry King.
    But all the rest of CNN International is cool and I adore Christiane Amanpour!

    I must say though that you have a point: CNN used to be better; it is slowly becoming superficial, maybe it's the awards I don't know...when we focus too much on being nominated and awarded we lose focus, you know what I mean, right?

    Tchau

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olá Celeste :D!

      lol He is cute and successful (thank God).
      Good, good :).

      Yes, I know what you mean.

      Celeste, thank you ever so much for your great comment :D.

      Cheers

      Delete
  12. I guess the media channels are just looking for making a few quick bucks and instant returns rather than focussing on meaningful news that create a lively debate. Instead you'll find hosts or anchors with pre-biased notions which they'll try to impose it upon the viewers or panelists participating in debates. Maybe due to competition or something, news channels create more sensationalism than anything these days. Even in newspapers too almost 90 percent of the news is unreadable which doesn't merit finding a place there at the first place. I would wish the editors do some more research and investigation on the news before they expose it to the world as media has the power to create opinion and any unverified false news can really turn the tables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kalyan :D!

      "I guess the media channels are just looking for making a few quick bucks and instant returns rather than focussing on meaningful news that create a lively debate."

      Absolutely.

      Yes, me too: I wish the newspapers' editors would do more research and investigation. Hopefully, they will change as more and more people grow tired of what they present to us all.
      If the media wants to do politics, it needs to have a proper plan...

      Kalyan, thank you so much for your great comment :D.

      Cheers

      Delete

Post a Comment

Dissecting Society™ welcomes all sorts of comments, as we are strong advocates of freedom of speech; however, we reserve the right to delete Troll Activity; libellous and offensive comments (e.g. racist and anti-Semitic) plus those with excessive foul language. This blog does not view vulgarity as being protected by the right to free speech. Cheers

© 2007-2023 Dissecting Society™ ALL RIGHTS RESERVED